Friday, September 12, 2008

“These Are The Best Days Of Our Lives”

Ah the college life. It can be defined in so many ways, with so many words, by so many different students. The lifestyle a college student lives varies from person to person, but one thing that is the same for everyone is all the new experiences that are thrown our way. There are so many aspects of the college life that require some major adjusting to. Whether it’s leaving home for the first time, living with your new roommate, or just dealing with the loads of homework coming our way, these things take some getting used to, and give us some huge opportunity for personal growth.
How do we survive all this change? For most, well at least for me, I’ve already run into some pretty significant opportunities for character building. The new dorms seem to have paper thin walls, and with that let me just say, that laying down listening to what sounds like an elephant walking directly above my head is not my idea of a party. My first thought went something like this, “curse these inconsiderate residents that I just happen to live below”, but on second thought, I decided this is college, and this is what it is all about. Living up the life we couldn’t have when we lived at home. No boundaries, no curfew, and the freedom!!! Don’t we all just love the freedom! With my new appreciation for freedom, I have to reach to find an equal appreciation of tolerance.
It has been statistically proven that the maturity level of a young male adult drops significantly during the first months of living the college life, and why not? After all, that is why it is called higher education. They leave the confines of parental control and enforced social behavior to set out to discover their own intelligence, maturity and social skills. Until then, I must choose to find a quiet and undisturbed place to study and or sleep, (which unfortunately cannot be my own little loft bed).
The best times of our lives, are just that because they are times of huge change, unprecedented freedom, mandatory tolerance, and unlimited choices. I guess the kicker is that the choices we make determine just how great our college life is when we look back someday. Make it count fellow Trojans!! Yeah, and can you keep it down up there?

No comments: