Friday, September 12, 2008

Radio Personality Joe Vyzourek Hired to Head College Radio Program

A familiar name with a very familiar voice has been hired by Colby Community College as radio station manager and instructor in the broadcasting department.  Joe Vyzourek, operations manager and program director at KXXX, will begin his new job at the college on Wednesday, Sept. 17.
“I’ve been at KXXX/KQRD for 10 years,” said Vyzourek.  “I’ve worked for three owners since being hired in 1998 to work full-time on the FM station.  I’d just completed two years at CCC and the timing was perfect.  I was named program director of the stations in May 1999 and then in 2004 was selected to be operations manager.  I’ve worked the 6 a.m.-10 a.m. shift for many years on KXXX in addition to the management duties.”
Vyzourek, a native of Atwood, began his career in broadcasting at a very young age.
“I’ve always loved electronics and gadgets,” explained Vyzourek.  “I actually put together a small transmitter and broadcast around our family farm from the basement beginning in third grade.  “A few years later I had a two-watt transmitter and continued to have fun being on the radio.”
Vzourek enrolled at CCC after graduating from Atwood High School.  Instructors for the radio program were Jon Burlew and Chris Thompson.
“I learned so much from both Jon and Chris,” said Vyzourek.  “I came to the program with the attitude that I would learn from square one about broadcasting.  My sophomore year I was selected as program director for the college station.  I learned from two of the best in the industry and have always appreciated my time at CCC.”
Vyzourek has received numerous awards and honors from statewide organizations such as the Kansas Association of Broadcasters.  He was selected at “DJ of the Year” in 2004 and 2006 and was honored for his production talents, receiving 1st-place honors on several occasions.
“I’m looking forward to returning to CCC,” said Vyzourek.  “I think it is important for students to get hands-on experience in all areas of broadcasting.  “They need to be well-rounded in all aspects, including music formats, production, news, weather and sports.  Radio is making a move back to more local programming.  Small markets are adding more ‘live’ shifts to their lineups.  At KXXX we’ve gone from one live shift to three per day.  There are many job opportunities for graduates and I’m looking forward to meeting and working with this year’s students.”
Joe and his wife Rebecca have a two-year-old son, Tanner.  He is the son of Lee and Pam Vyzourek of Atwood.

No comments: