Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pickerill honored for 100 semesters at CCC

For fifty-eight years Dr. Max Pickerill has started his day in a chemistry classroom. “Pick,” as he is affectionately known by colleagues and students, began his 100th semester of teaching in January at Colby Community College.

“When people ask me what I teach, I tell them students,” said Pickerill. “I know they expect me to say chemistry, but the students are what it’s all about. One year students in my class knew I was going to the Ramada to eat Christmas dinner. They combined all their pocket change...about $13 and gave it to me to pay for dinner. How can you leave students like that?”

Thousands of students have benefited from Pickerill’s love of teaching. Many area doctors, chiropractors, pharmacists, optometrists, nurses and physician assistants began their collegiate career in Pickerill’s chemistry lab.

“Dr. Pickerill is the most knowledgeable and best teacher I ever had,” said Colby chiropractor Dr. Shane Franz. “He has a way of presenting the material that makes his students learn. I took Organic Chemistry I from him, then was out of school for eight years. I returned and took Organic II. Even though I had not been a student for many years, Max was able to make learning easy. I also took Physics and worried about it because I had not taken a lot of math. Again, Max was able to get me through. He knows when his students haven’t learned something. He’d tell me to come in after class. I’d meet with him for 15 minutes and know it when I left for the day.”

Kristy Karnes, who is a pharmacist at the Colby Dillons store, is also one of Pickerill’s former students.

“Max has a gift for teaching chemistry,” said Karnes. “He is a one-of-a-kind teacher who cares about each of his students. He’s more than a teacher, he’s a friend who has blessed a lot of lives.”

Dr. Pickerill began his teaching career while finishing his undergraduate degree at the University of Pittsburg. His first job was at the high school in Baxter Springs, Kansas.

Following a tour of duty in the U.S. Navy, Pickerill continued his teaching career at several institutions. He taught at Oklahoma Junior College, Northern Oklahoma Junior College, College of Emporia, Louisiana State University and WaKeeney High School. He began teaching chemistry at CCC in 1974.

Pickerill, who will be 83 years old in June, has received numerous awards and honors. He was chosen by the National Science Foundation as one of two teachers in the nation to participate in a study. He was also selected by NASA to analyze lunar material following the first moon landing and by the Department of Energy to work on alcohol fuel distillation.

The Parsons, Kansas native earned his master’s degree from Fort Hays State University and doctorate from Louisiana State University.

This is his 58th year as a teacher, 33 of those years have been at Colby Community College.

“I’ve never taught anywhere in my 58 years that I liked better than Colby. “I appreciate so much the citizens of Colby. The small town atmosphere fits me. We have a quality faculty at CCC and great students. For me, retirement is the ‘R’ word,” said Pickerill.

Pickerill teaches Chemistry I and II, Organic Chemistry I and II, Biochemistry and a three-week Fundamentals of Chemistry class during the summer session.

“I’ve taken Chemistry I from Pick and am currently in Chem II,” said Dresden sophomore Kim Wessel. “Although he’s one of the oldest teachers I’ve had, he’s one of the best and most caring. He cares about everyone...every student.”

Other students in the class echo Wessel’s comments.

“I’ve always like chemistry and Dr. Pickerill just makes it better,” said Tonya Nero, Kenya freshman.

“Pick is never boring,” said Macy Rouse, Oberlin. “He just makes class and lab a lot of fun.”

“He is definitely by favorite teacher,” said Nathan Ketzner, Bird City. “He’s down to earth and makes me actually want to come to class!”

In recognition of Pickerill’s contribution to CCC, the lecture series at the college was formally named the “Dr. Max Pickerill Lecture Series” in October 1998.

“I teach chemistry because everyone needs it,” said Pickerill. “I love teaching. I try to remember how I learned chemistry and then relate that to my students. It has to be relevant to their lives.”

Pickerill has been offered other jobs including an opportunity to serve as acting head of the Department of Energy at the World’s Fair.

“It was a good offer with great benefits and a lucrative salary,” said Pickerill. “I considered it but then called Washington and told them, ‘no.’ I just couldn’t leave teaching.”

Although Pickerill’s classes are always full, he is aware that the college has challenges.

“The biggest change I’ve seen is the declining population in our area,” said Pickerill. “It makes it much more difficult to recruit. However, we have many students who come here because of our good reputation in the math and science department.”

In recognition of his tenure at the college, CCC President Dr. Lynn Kreider has authorized a reserved parking spot for Pickerill.

“Max is an icon at CCC,” said Dr. Kreider. “He has been instrumental in the education of thousands of students, many of them at Colby. His expertise and teaching skills continue to be a big contributor to our success in recruiting students to attend CCC. He has earned the respect of his students, colleagues and all those who have had the opportunity to work with him. Max epitomizes the mission of Colby Community College.”

“There is no place I’d rather be than Colby,” said Pickerill. “The best thing about teaching is the lifelong friendships I’ve formed.”

No comments: